Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade baby food!

Hello Loves!
I've been wanting to make baby food for awhile now, and although I don't have a food processor, my lovely mother let me borrow hers (FOOD NINJA)! It worked perfectly! It's pretty simple, but I thought I'd give you my beginners recipes & tips (this is my first time so bare with me, I'll let you know more tips when I try again in a few weeks).

Ash is almost 5.5 months old, she has been showing all the signs of needing more food. She had been waking up in the middle of the night (she's been sleeping through the night since about one month, so that was a BIG SIGN), she was drinking a ridiculous amount, I fed her almost 12 ounces at one time!! & she was refusing to take naps!! I started her off on brown rice cereal (Organic - HAPPY BABY is the brand) when she was around 4.5 months old, so she has been on that for about a month now. Usually I feed it to her once or twice a day, at night & sometimes mid-day. Now she is getting cereal more frequent & we are starting to introduce her some YUMMYS!


^^ This was the sweet potato ^^

Recipes
Sweet Potato
3 sweet potatoes - 1.5 cups water
After I poured some into plastic sandwich bags plain, I added a dash of brown sugar to a few bags for taste!
Of course, after her stomach gets used to the taste of it plain. That can be a dessert for her :)

Sweet peas
One bag organic frozen sweet peas - 3/4th cup of water

Butternut Squash
Small organic bag - half cup of water
I also added a pinch of brown sugar to a few bags for added taste!

Oh, & I bought avocados that I will be feeding her straight out of the shell thing :)



 Directions
All I did was wash all the veggies. Then I boiled the peas, squash, and potatoes for about an hour - hour and a half. Threw them in the food processor with water and waited til they were the frequency I wanted. I kind of just winged it!
 I made them pretty runny this time since her little tummy is just getting used to the taste, and hardly added anything to them. I made enough for AT LEAST two and a half weeks, cost around $30 dollars.
OH, and my plan was to pour the finished product into ice cube trays (let them freeze over night) then put two ice cubes of baby food in a plastic bag, label them, and throw them in the freezer. But we didn't have as many ice cube trays as I thought, so I poured two batches into the trays as planned, then with the other batches, I just labeled bags, and poured a little bit into each bag. I'm sure there are easier ways to store, but this was my first time & that's what I came up with!
Next time, I will be doing some fruits! & HOPEFULLY, i'll have bought empty baby food jars/mason jars/SOMETHING for a better storage process, if not, i'll let you know how the plastic bags are working out :P



My little Ashtyn Kade eating her sweet peas! She LOVED them & went crazy over the sweet potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment